Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying VM to new host manually - getting error = need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fran7802

Technical User
Feb 19, 2011
ZA
Hi All,
Im new to VMWARe, i have to hosts (both vmware server) Host 1 running a Win 7 vm and Host 2 running 2 VMs (dc +exchange). I copied VM's from host 2 to host 1 manually. > Host2> copy c:\virtual machines to host1> c:\virtual machines. When i open vmware on host1 i added newly copied vm's to inventory, but when i try and start them up they fail to boot. (i assume that this is to do with the hardware) Can some help me get them booted as i dont want to rebuild them, + i also rebuilt host 2 as a barebones esxi server. My plan was to then put all vm's back onto the esxi server (bare metal).
Anyway help will really be appreciated, i have been online searching but i am now confused with all the different ways.

What's the error that you are getting?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Power On Virtual Machine" failed to complete
If these problems persist, please contact yor system administrator.
Details » Cannot open the disk c:\virtual machines1\"vm"\vm-000002.vmdk or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Reason: Failed to lock the file.

This happens when i try to start either of the vm´s.

Sounds like there is a snapshot in the source. Before you copy a virtual machine, you should delete all snap-shots.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back