Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying VHS to DVD using Panasonic DMR-EZ49VEB

giomach

Technical User
Oct 18, 2024
I'm starting off to use a Panasonic DMR-EZ49VEB VHS-to-DVD recorder (with replacement N2QAYB000466 remote). I'm using my computer instead of a TV as a display, taking the DMR's scart output through a Dazzle DVC 100 capture device and Pinnacle's Instant DVD Recorder software. With this setup I'm able to play the VHS on the DMR and watch it on the computer screen.

When I come to copying the VHS to DVD, the steps on p 24 of the DMR manual are fine until "Select the DVD recording mode". It doesn't say how to so this. There is a pointer for further info to p 28, which details the various recording modes but that's all. Pressing the REC MODE button on the remote has no effect, the DMR continues to show the default SP mode, while the computer continues to show a blank window instead of the expected menu of allowed modes (as seen on p 22 where recording from TV to DVD is being described).

Page 30 describes a different procedure, how to select "Flexible Recording" mode, by using the remote's "FUNCTION MENU" button. This shows a menu on the computer screen, from which I select "OTHERS" as instructed. From OTHERS I am told to select "FLEXIBLE REC" but there is no such option, only SETUP, which leads on via DISC and SETTINGS FOR RECORDING to loads of detailed options not including the relatively simple one I want.

Can anyone suggest how to change from SP mode, either to XP mode or to FLEXIBLE RECORDING mode?

The way I read it is this:

First, Insert a disc with enough space for recording.
Then the system will interact with that disk, verify it, and bring up the DVD recording mode options for you to select...

At any rate, you can try this:
  • Insert a Blank DVD: Make sure the DVD is properly inserted and recognized by the recorder.
  • Press the [FUNCTIONS] Button on the Remote: This opens up the function menu for the DVD recorder.
  • Navigate to the 'DVD' Option: Use the arrow keys on your remote to highlight the DVD section. Press [OK].
  • Choose the 'Recording Mode' Option: Scroll through the menu and look for "Recording Mode" or something similar. Press [OK].
    The various recording modes you’ll typically find are:
    • XP (High Quality): Short recording time, but highest quality.
    • SP (Standard Play): Standard recording time and quality.
    • LP (Long Play): Lower quality, but longer recording time.
    • EP (Extended Play): Lowest quality, but longest recording time.
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Select the Desired Mode: Once you see the list of recording modes, use the arrow buttons on the remote to toggle between them. Choose the one that suits your needs (e.g., XP for highest quality, or EP for more recording time).
  • Confirm the Selection: After choosing the mode, press [OK] to confirm.
  • Start Recording: Now you can proceed with copying the VHS to DVD by pressing the [REC].

I haven't yet found a way to implement your suggestions, but one thing that might clarify it for me — the target DVD I insert is unformatted. I assumed that it would be formatted automatically as part of the copy process, but it seems that it always ends up complaining that the disk is unformatted. So do I need to format the disk beforehand? If so, how?

Also I assumed that formatting the disk would commit it to a particular recording mode (XP, SP or whatever). Perhaps this is not so?

The manual says that formatting a disk is an option on the "Disk Management", a submenu of Function Menu/Others. But for me, the only submenu of "Others" is "Setup" — there's no Disk Management, or Flexible Rec, although the manual shows them on p 64.

If using DVD-R or DVD+R (write-once), the recorder typically formats it automatically when you begin recording.

If using rewritable discs (DVD-RW or DVD+RW), the system may prompt you to format the disc into a compatible mode (VR Mode or Video Mode) when you insert the disc.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back