Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying msgrecord & msgaction to backup server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmorg

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I have a primary server(brumby) & a secondary server(akubra), I need to copy all my msgrecords & msgaction to the secondary server (akubra). Could any one please advise how I can do this.

I have tried copying over the oprdb.backup to akubra, deleting the old msgrecords from akubra and running

cautil -f f:\system\openvms\oprdb.backup,

but this did not put all the actions in for some reason, is there another way for me to do this ??

Thanks in advance

presuming that your caopr.dsb file is in tng\logs

oprdb script <drive>:\tng\logs\caopr.dsb > filename.txt[b/]

then on your new server
cautil -f filename.txt

There is a limit to the amount of records / lines it will import at once so you may need to split filename.txt into separate files.

Sorry, I got my bold tags wrong - ignore the [b/]

The easiest way i have found to do this (and the way that i do it) is via SQL server.
Write a job that drops all of your old message records and actions from your backup servers tables (CAIOPRDB.cadb.OPRA_ACT, CAIOPRDB.cadb.OPRA_CTL, and CAIOPRDB.cadb.OPRA_MSG).

Then copy the records and actions from your production server to the backup server with a DTS package from one SQL server to another. If you are using ingres, it is not quite as easy but it works basically the same way.

Darren

sorry sonnoGT,
but the syntax of the command you give is not corrcect on my system
i ususaly used :
oprdb script db > filename.txt

this give me the result that i used with cautil -f filename.txt

I guess that it would depend whether your event manager is on NT or Unix.
On NT, the caopr.dsb file is the Event management database.
When you do an opreload the CAIOPRDB is loaded into this file, and the caoprdmn uses this file when processing msgrecords etc. It is quicker than doing queries on the SQL DB.
So it makes no difference really, DB or dsb file - they are both the same.

I stand by what I said though, &quot;oprdb script caopr.dsb&quot; works with TNG version 2.1 up to NSM

If you look at the CA Reference Guide both ways are valid.

Hi,

Both &quot;oprdb script db&quot; and &quot;oprdb script caopr.dsb&quot; will work but there is a subtle difference. The first will give you the message records & actions you would see in the GUI, that means they will only match the real DSB if an opreload was done after the last change.

The second option using caopr.dsb saves the active DSB. I just proved this by deleting some message actions and running the two commands.

This one catch you out ! Hope it helps !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back