Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying master database

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireant

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
PH
Hello,

First of all, I apologize for not checking out the posts first hand before asking this question but I'm kind of on a deadline so here goes.

I'm trying to copy a database from a production server to a test server including the production server's master database. Since the production database has the same name as the test server's, I've detached the test database, copied the production and master databases (MDF/LDF files). I've successfully attached the production database and accessed it with no issues, deleting entries in tables pointing to the production server. But when I've overwritten the master database, SQL server won't start.

Has anyone successfully transferred/copied a master database from one server to another? Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance,

Louie C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back