Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispybee

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
GB
Hi Guys

Say you had on you local pc, 2 mapped drives to two servers
You dragged one file from one mapped drive to another, how would it copy the file.

Would it copy to your local pc then the other server or from server to server???

Thanks

Hi,

Interesting question!
Look at your "Local Area Connection Status" window as you are copying the file(s). The number of bytes sent / received should let you know what is going on. To me it looks like the file is first transferred to the local box and then sent again to the "other" share.

Maybe this will be different tough depending on network / OS settings. I guess this can have a quite big impact if for example running over dial-up, etc.

/mk

Well actually the file is not copied to the local PC, the local PC just works as the mediator to copy the file, and all the resource of your local PC will be used to copy the files, as memory, and virutal memory.

Kishore MCDBA

I thought that it was an interesting question as well Kressmark.

Kishleo - Would you think that there would be a way of using only the resources from the server not the client pc?

Also I have put some vital servers on a private facing address. These servers also have other network cards in for the Public Addres.
I want windows to tell that the private network address is the quickest, how would it learn the path??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back