Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying files very slow in one direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeW

Programmer
Jul 8, 2002
US
I have a small network with 1 XP pro machine and two ME machines connected through a Linksys 4-port router. I have no problems connecting to the Internet or sharing files across all computers. My problem is the speed of copying files across my 100mb network. Copying files between my ME machines performs as expected. I can copy 220 MB in about 30 seconds or so. I can copy the same files to my XP machine from the ME computers at about the same speed, however; from my XP machine if I try to copy the files from either one of my ME machines it takes approximately 12 minutes or more to copy the files to my XP machine. Does anyone have and advice for me. I already tried the following:
Thanks,
Wade

Try adding a HOSTS file to both systems and see if that solves the problem. I was having similar problems until I did this on a XP Pro and a XP Home system. This required me to give both systems static IP addresses but that was a minor issue. Give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks coachbb94. I will try your suggestion when I get home. Other users feel free to make other suggestions in case the 'HOSTS' file fix does not work.

Any other ideas, adding information to both 'HOSTS' files did not help.

Hi,

I had a similar problem on my company website, slightly different setup to your one but the solution might be the same.

We disabled the virus scanner on all of the computers and found that copying is then the same on all terminals, HD space and fragmentation has an effect on copying also.

fbicfc

I've hesitated to add to this thread in hopes someone had an answer, but so far no one has. Search Google groups with terms "xp low network utilization" and read some of the threads returned. You'll soon see that this isn't an isolated phenomenon.

I can duplicate WadeW's problem on my home network (LinkSys 4-port router, 3 PCs cat-5 wired). Initiating a 278MB file transfer from the XP machine to/from a 98SE machine takes 2 minutes 38 seconds, with the Windows Task Manager Networking tab showing about 16% network utilization. On the other hand, initiating a transfer from the 98SE machine takes only 38 seconds with around 67% network utilization. I tried various flavors of protocols, and in combination, with the same results: whenever a transfer is initiated from the XP machine, the file transfer is slow...

Thanks for your replies. Fbicfc, your situation does not apply to mine. I don't have any virus software, I defrag all the time, and I have many many free gigs left on both hard drives. I sucked it up and called Microsoft for a paid support incident. After 5 hours of troubleshooting we could not solve the problem. Microsoft refunded the 35-dollar support charge and apologized. Please keep the post coming. Hopefully someone will find a fix.

Thanks,

Wade

I have an update. Now I am more confused. If I start copying some files and then start copying a second set of files at the same time then both sets of files start copying at the normal fast rate. When one set of files completes the copy then the speed is back to a crawl again. Does this open any new doors? Please advise.

Wade

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I never thought in a million years that the nic card in the ME machine could be the problem, and to be honest I still don't, since I can copy ME to other ME machines without a problem. For one of my final test I purchased a Microsoft PCI Nic card (MN-130) and placed it in my XP machine. I did some file copying test and the same slow performance occured. I decided to replace the ME nic card with the microsoft card. I did the same speed test again and it worked like a charm. I rebooted both machines several times and ran through many test including copying one large file and several smaller files. Everthing perfored as expected in both directions. I can't explain it. I had a 3Com 3C905C-TXM-G1 in the ME machine with the lasted drivers installed. For now, I will box up the 3com card and try it again on my next new computer. This situation will probably not help some of you with similar problems, but it may give you something to think it about. Thanks for all your post.

Wade

The Problems come from the NIC-Configuration, ´cause there are things enabled noone really needs.

802.1p = VPN disable if you don´t need.
receive parity (Empf.Prüfsummenverschiebung) not necessary
Media Type = default
tranfer parity (Übertr. Prüfsummenversch.) not necessary

This brings Speed up and helps also deleting Files on Network Drives.

regards Mike Ziegenhardt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back