Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Files Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

discofly

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
GB
All,

Simple one this one. I think!

I have a large amount of files on my C drive that I want to copy over onto our office network. Maybe 5-6GB worth. What I want to do is to essentially press copy, then goto the destination and press Paste. This is fine, but when the files are transferring the odd notification pops up "this file is read only, do you want to copy" or "filex is a program, do you want to copy" etc.

Essentially - I want to just set my machine away copying the files and leave it as it takes a long time.

Any ideas? XP tweak? Cloning software?

thanks all.

Not sure you can do that through the native shell. You could probably do it from the command line:

[tt]XCOPY <source>\*.* <dest>\*.* /S /H /R /Y[/tt]

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Xcopy.

While copying, your added instructions (/c/h/e/k/r), that are called "switches", instruct the computer to copy attributes, read-only files, all sub-directories, hidden files, system files and to ignore errors.

/s Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
/e Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
/v Verifies each new file.
/y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an existing destination file.
/h Copies hidden and system files also.

xcopy /? at a Command Prompt shows all Switches shows all of this.

ROBOCOPY.exe (Resource Kit)

copying a directory tree using a dos bat file
thread779-1077173

Many thanks for that - that looks perfect.

Whilst I have the knowledge to do that - are there any windows based tools, with a more intuitive GUI that I can roll out to colleagues? (ie. maybe a piece of shareware/ software)?

Many thanks.

Humm, I use to do that using explorer, just press "Yes to all" a couple of times.

Anyway, didn't try myself, but a lof of my coworkers are in love with "Total Commander"

Cheers,
Dian

oops, hurried too soon:
here's the vbs, you can also to a .bat file to do it.

Option Explicit
dim frompath, topath, wshshell
set wshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
frompath = inputbox ("enter full source path: e.g. c:\xyz\*.*")
topath = inputbox ("enter destination full path: e.g. d:\abc\*.* ")
wshshell.Run("cmd.exe /c xcopy " & frompath & " " & topath & "/e")
MsgBox ("files in " & frompath & " were copied to " & topath)
or type this one in notepad and save as .bat file

xcopy c:\folder\*.* d:\folder2\*.* /e

you can invoke this from desk top.
the "/e" will copy directories, even if they're empty. you can omit that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back