Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying files from netware 4.11 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghallan

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
GB
Hi all,

Is it possible to copy files from a netware 4.11 server to a netware 6 server preserving the long filenames

The catch is the only connection between the servers is IP

I have tried using FTP but it does not seem to preserve the long filenames.

A further complication is the quantity of data, also the depth of the directory structure and the length of the path.

Suggestions welcome please

Allan

jus map a drive to both and use ncopy

i would be inclined to take a tbackup as well and then at least you can just reflash the rights

arcserve etc will also do a copy job

Hi Terry

Thanks for your prompt reply

I must be missing something - on the ip only connection I can't seem to map a drive to the netware 4 server Due to reorganisation (its complicated!) I am now at the end of an ip only pipe and my users want their files but I can't map to the old server and neither can they.

I will try the arcserve route but that is an additional complication as Arcserve 9 was installed on the 4 server (not by me) and it won't uninstall

Also it keeps abending the server so I have to back it up using an agent and arcserve 9 running on a nw6 box tape drive. I have never used arcserve to copy files but I'm sure its in the documentation.

Allan

are the servers seperated by a router?
are these in the same tree?
i'm assuming ip is bound on 4.11?

Not to turn the knife any, but that's one of those situations where a little advance planning would have been helpful.

How much data are you talking? Can you burn it to Cd and mail it to them?

What you need to do is go to the site with the 4.11 server, and attach to that from a workstation, and also map a drive via iP to the ip only server. That is what Teryy was talking about. That way you'll have a Windows connection to each one and your long names will be preserved. I'm afraid that being on the IP only end doesn't offer very many options.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

>>are the servers seperated by a router?
yes
>>are these in the same tree?
no
>>i'm assuming ip is bound on 4.11?
yes

The trees are separate for "political" reasons but we still have a natted connection to the previous tree.

We are talking 40+gig of data so cd is not an option. The workstation at the 4.11 end sounds the best option

What about the arcserve way? would it be simpler There is one 6 server I can use on the 4.11 side of the ip pipe and it is running ip and ipx

Thanks

Allan

You cannot login to a netware 4.11 server using IP. It only supports ncp over ipx.

To get this working you have a couple of options.

1. Configure nwip on the boxes.
2. Use another netware 5.x or 6.x as a scmd gateway on the LAN that holds the 4.11 server.

That pretty much is your only way if you only have a ip connection to the 4.11 server.

Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

arcserve will not work as they are seperate trees
you could however run a tbackup
back the data up to tape and then restore data at remote site
novell's backup ie nwbackup may be easiest way to say issues with arcserver versions - but if arcserve available then go that way

if your clued up then you could go the above two options
scmd is easier for me but i've played with this alot when we were shotting ipx

only other option but slow and you would need to restore trustees

load the ftp daemon on the 6 server and then ftp the data up
it will mantain the long names

Thanks for all the help

I tried the scmd option and setup a workstation at the 'old' end. I can connect to this workstation using VNC and can see both networks from there by logging into the 4.11 network and attaching to the IP only one

Data transferring nicely

thanks again

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back