Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBNelson

MIS
Aug 27, 2001
US
I need to use the same field in two seperate locations (sections) on a report. I would like to set up a seperate formula or select record process for each instance of the field. The first (Parent)instance would search and display the instances of this field equaling zero. The second (Child) instance would search and display the instances of this field equaling everything equal to or greater than 1.
The records are made unique by two other fields.

The final result would look something like this:

0 XYZ Assembly
1 xyz Part 1
2 xyz Part 2
3 xyz Part 3

Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like a classic case for subreports
(or advanced SQL).

Cheers,
- Ido ixm7@psu.edu

Usually there is a link field between parent and child when parts are part of an assembly or kit. Is that true here? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Yes, the fields are entered as follows:

Job_Name Line Assembly Type Description
ABC_123 1 0 A Large Door (Assembly Name)
ABC_123 1 1 I Door Frame Leg (Component)
ABC_123 1 2 I Hardware (Component)
ABC_123 1 3 I Labor (Component)

As you can see, it can get kind of confusing because the assembly record uses the job name to make it unique. The problem is, it is (Assembly) then duplicated for multiple jobs. This will be changing in the future but for now I am stuck with it.

The "Line" signifies a different assembly for the same job. You can have multiple assemblies assign to a particular job number.

The "Assembly" number (0-*) signifies the various parts of the assembly. "0" always signifies the "Assembly" while "1-*" signify the components.

"Type" is similar to Assembly in that the "A" denotes "Assembly" while the "I" denotes "Item" or rather component.

Descriptions are just that, being a text field that just tags along.

I should mention that I am using Crystal Reports 8.5 Developer and Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5. Working on an upgrade for SQL Anywhere 5.5 but do not have it as yet.

I think that covers it. Thanks for looking!

Mike

Group by Job name, sort by TYPE in ascending order so that the A is first. Suppress the details if the Type = "A".

Now if you put the field in the GH, it will be the parent. If you put the fields in the details, they will be the children. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Could not get this exact fix to work but it lead me to a couple of other lines of thought that are looking good. I had no idea that the Sort Order could have so much impact on a report. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back