Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying DTS "packages" from one SQL Server to another. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorAnderson

Programmer
May 22, 2000
US
Visit site
We are in the process of switching hosting companies and servers, and in about 16 hours the old one (which is now the 'current' one) is going to be turned off, so I'm in a bit of a bind to fix this rather quickly.....<br><br>The old one ('current') appears to have 58 of these 'DTS' &quot;Packages&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now, how the heck to I copy them to the 'new' server?<br><br>I'm hoping this is a basic question, it sounds like it should be simple.....<br><br>Thanks in advance for any help!!!!<br> <p>Victor Anderson<br><a href=mailto:victoranderson2000@imailbox.com>victoranderson2000@imailbox.com</a><br><a href= Guru</a><br>ICQ# - 14847018

Well, its a bit late, but I had to do this myself and did some research.

Two choices are clear (there may be others as well):

[tab]Save the DTS packages as files, copy them to the other server, then open and save them.

[tab]Transfer them via DTS (what else?) from one MSDB to the other. For detailed instructions on how to do this, check out this article:
I think there might be a third option, but I have yet to try it: edit the package on the first server, then in the Save As simply change the server name. Seems too easy, but it might work (a bit tedious though if you have lots of packages).

Robert Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back