Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Drives 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyflyfisher

Technical User
Apr 18, 2005
US
I'm trying to copy a FAT32 drive to a NTFS drive using Norton Ghost and it's coming back with "Cannot resize partition". Are there any ways around this?
Thanks,
Rick

I'd assume from the message you've quoted that the partition size of the source drive is in fact bigger than the target drive. If possible, back up important data then use something like Partition Magic to shrink the FAT32 partition so it no longer exceeds that of your NTFS drive.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Actually I'm trying to copy a 40G (FAT32) to a 160G (NTFS).
Ghost keeps coming back with all kinds of error messages.
Trying to install larger HD without having to re-install everything.
Any help would be appreciated.

Rick,

You haven't really explained why you are using Ghost to begin with. With both hard drives installed, you should be able to move data over using the utility that came with the new drive. If you didn't get one, they are often available as free downloads off the manufacturer's website. The utility will run off a floppy and boot the system to non-Windows OS (possibly MS-DOS) so that system files can be copied over without being locked by Windows.

Also there's the xcopy command, but there's probably no need to get into that.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

When moving between different types of filesystem, you DON'T want to do a block-for-block transfer. Why not use the OS to do the copy? Then you'll get fresh new files on the target drive. This cleans up fragmentation, and lets NTFS put things where it thinks they should go.

jlshelton,
That makes sense, except that Windows 2000/XP usually won't allow certain files that are locked in use to copy over. This is why many apps like Partition Magic or Ghost restart the system into a non-Windows mode before copying/moving/backing up data.

Using the utility that comes with the hard drive to make an exact duplicate on the new drive is common practice. For example, if you had a maxtor drive installed, you could get the utility here:

After copying this information over to the NTFS partition, then worry about defragmenting...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Well, i would say if anyone deserves a star it would be cdogg. So i will do just that. He's come up with a simple and easy solution, use the drive mfgr utitity that is made for this purpose.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Cdogg and garebo...

Doesn't Ghost have a Floppy Boot utility that you can use? I haven't been consulting for a while, but I think you can make boot floppies for using ghost. The interface is pretty primitive...lol...but functional. Just noting for future reference.

Colossus, you are correct, at least with regard to Ghost 2002--which is all I have experience with. You MUST make a boot floppy to do the transfer.

Colossus and lb63640,

Yes of course. Ghost has many options - boot floppies, restarting from Windows into that utility, etc.

The point, however, isn't what you can do two thousand different ways. It's about what you can do the easiest and most convenient way. That's why hard drive manufacturer's go through the trouble of supplying and updating their own transfer utilities.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back