Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Database to new Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

kophjager

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hello all,

I would like to thank anyone in advance who can help me with my problem. I am definitely a novice at using Oracle, so please bear with me.
I have created a database named Journal on my home machine. I did it with the Enterprise Edition install package. During the install I had Oracle create a General Purpose Database for me. I then created one table with 3 columns and 4 rows. What I would like to do now is take the database if at all possible to another location that runs the Enterprise Edition. What I would like to do if at all possible is to copy the files to the new location either by disk or whatever means possible. I am wondering if this is possible and what files I would need to copy to the new Location. I did do a search on my computer and came across two *.ora files, both with Journal in the file name and some other *.trc files. I do not know if those are all I need or what.
Please forgive my noviceness if this indeed has an obvious answer. Thank you.

*.trc files are normally indicate some problems with your database (trace).
.ora files may contain network configuration setting.
Oracle is not FoxPro, it doesn't store each table in separate file.
You should use export/import, it's not too hard.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back