Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcLara

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
How can i copy tables from a 8i to 7.3 when there is a lot of constraints? I tried to just export it, but the db is missing a lot of data dictionary tables. Is there a way of turning all the constraints all at the same time?

Any help would be appreciated

Hmm- I haven't tried backporting. But, it sounds like you are doing a full export. Don't do a full export- try doing a export specifying the tables you need or a particular owner (example OWNER=TESTSCHEMA) when you import, the constraints,etc will still come. You just won't get the user pre-created. You must re-create the user first in the 7.3 db and then import. Be careful to set all privileges for that user prior to import.

Kimberly

Hi

actually your export-import tool will get problems with the data dictionary views. When you use the exp of the 8.1.7.

So try to use use the exp of 7.3.4 to export your 8.1.7 user and then you can succesfully import it to the 7.3.4.

I never tried but I know that this way works when exporting data from 8.1.7 to 8.1.6.

This is essentially the same topic that is covered in chapter 14 of the Oracle 8i Migration guide (downgrading to Oracle 7). The main strategy they discuss is to export the data and then import it to the Oracle 7 db. The steps are

1. Run the catexp7.sql script that can be found in the {Oracle home}\rdbms\admin directory of your Oracle 8i database. That will create the Oracle 7 compatible views that allow you to use the Oracle 7 export utility. I think you only need to run the first part of this script that deals with export. You can skip the portion that deals with import.

2. Export from your 8i database, but make sure to use the Oracle 7 export utility.

3. Import into the Oracle 7 database.

Since you are transfering data rather than actually downgrading, I would be cautious about running the catexp7.sql script. If possible transfer the data to a test Oracle 8i database so it won't matter too much if catexp7.sql messes up your catalog.

There are alternate downgrade strategies mentioned in the manual, along with a variety of caveats and restrictions. Please read it for more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back