Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying contents of my documents to users H drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHRMac

MIS
Jun 5, 2006
US
Hi All

I know there is a way to copy the entire contents of a users my documents folder to their H drive but I have forgotten how to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right click "My Documents" and select Move. Then browse to the location for My Documents to re-direct to.

This will cause the location on H to be the new My Documents location for that user.

Otherwise just copy/paste.

no there is a way to do it when the user logs in automatically. Thats what i am looking for.

Use Group Policy:

To redirect a folder, open the Group Policy Editor and navigate to User Settings | Windows Settings | Folder Redirection.

Right, and you can set the redirection to copy the clients current local documents to where you have redirect it.

If you have multiple sites/servers in your domian you will want to use advanced folder redirection. That will allow you to choose which server users files go to based upon group membership.

Good point Ed. Yes i do have mulitple sites. Where do i find the advanced folder redirection? Also how much does it slow down the login process???

Windows Settings
Folder Redirection
My Documents
Setting: Advanced (Specify locations for various user groups)

Enter base path, the policy will append %USERNAME%\My Documents (\\server\share) will become (\\server\share\%USERNAME%\My Documents)

You will also want to tweak the security settings for the base path anf the options of the policy so administrators will have access to the file areas when they are created instead of having to 'tweak' them later.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back