Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Cisco Router Configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomarian

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
We currently have installed a fractional T1 line at our facility and have purchased a Cisco 2600 series router. We could not get it setup correctly, so we borrowed one from a knowledgable Cisco person. He set it up then sent it to us. We installed that one and it works great. We want to setup our router with like settings, but he will not give us the password for the router. I am thinking he is holding out for money or something.

I would like to know if we can somehow view or export the router settings without the password? Is this even possible? Thanks in advance. Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

If you owe him money, you should pay. I'll leave it up to you to decide.
Having said that, back to the question. The easiest option for you is to go through password recovery procedure, described here:

Use software with text capturing and x-modem transfer features to connect to the console. When you do "sh run", capture it. Clean the capture file from any lines but config. Then connect to your router via console and run command "copy xmodem: start" and transfer the file to your router.

Good luck.

Boka,

We don't owe him any money, so that is not the issue. He just is not responding to our requests. I will give the article a try and let you know what happens. Thanks.

Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

Well.. there is SNMP if it's enabled and you can figure out the string. A brute force cracker my be help in this case. There are a few exploits that can be run against a cisco router depending on the level of the code but I would not hold out much for that. You could set up a sniffer to watch the traffic and then call in a fake trouble have the "gentleman" telnet into the router to look at things.. while you grab the packets.. remembering that telnet is plain text.

The password recovery does work good if you just want a look at the config and doesnt leave any figure prints unless you count the reboot time.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back