Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying changes from admin to non-admin profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

JferWfer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hi,

Our users are currently not administrators of their machines. When I set up a computer I copy the administrator profile to the default profile, which will give anyone who logs in the same environment. However, when I need to make a change, such as a file association, I can only change this in the administrator profile. How would I copy this change to the users profile without wiping out all of their personal settings and their documents? I have tried copying to the default user profile but this does not update the users who already have profiles created. I have searched all over the web and have found nothing.

Thanks,
Jennifer

You are right, changes made to the "Default User" folder will not affect any users that already have profile folders created.
There is another folder in Docs and Settings called "All Users" which affects, surprisingly, all user profiles. You should modify/make changes in this folder.

You say modify/make changes in the All Users folder....where exactly in the folder would I change an association? In the past I have found that copying the administrator profile using the profile manager to the All Users folder destroys the start menu program list and desktop shortcuts for all users. However, surprisingly, it does not copy the association change. Any other suggestions?

Jen

My suggestion was a general solution to your problem, I don't know the specific entry that stored the file assc. table, so I don't know what you'd need to copy over.

Since it obviously resides SOMEWHERE in the profile folder, you could trial and error it, and keep checking the test profile to see if the associations carried over. Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but if you have hundreds of user profiles to deal with maybe its worth the trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back