Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying backend tables to the backend but using the front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddelk

Programmer
May 28, 2003
US
I have a backend database and an interface that links to the tables in it. I need to take a table in the backend, copy it to a new name (still in the backend), then link the front end to it. I think I should use docmd.copyobject, but each time I do it seems to copy the link in the frontend to a new name but then I have both links going to the same backend table. I don't get a new backend table. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you using the DestinationDatabase part of the CopyObject statement?

Also look at the RefreshLink statement.

When I do that, I get a linked table in the backend that is recursive, i.e. it shows it in the backend and its linked to the backend. Because of this, I cannot link the frontend to the backend since Access does not allow for multiple layers of links. For instance, when I try to manually link to the table, using the file menu, the linked table in the backend does not show up in the list.

I like a challenge. Give me a day or so to look at - I have kid's sports to sort out today.

If the table does not show in a manual link it indicates to me that the table is not on the backend after all.

Found the thought process I was think of. I used it a number of years ago.

You can use the OpenDatabase statement. The following link has examples for Access97 for opening and linking and I am sure it can be adapted for other versions also.

I am sure I was able to create tables and add fields also. If you want further assistance let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back