Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying a drive fat16 to fat32

Status
Not open for further replies.

boringhousewife

Technical User
Feb 13, 2002
AU
First bit -I have a 4gb drive in 2 partitions. Want to remove the partitions.
Tried drive image but after fdisk and format and putting image back on, partitions were still there. realised I needed to have image of files not drive. too late.
Tried partition magic. no good.
seems that on transferring image to clean drive a 7-8mb drive is created. finally worked out original drive musta been fat16, I beleive it was win95 with 98se put straight over the top. this 7-8mb drive is coming up as the boot drive, and of course htere is nothing there so won't boot.
OK, I think I'll try clean instal of OS and copy all the stuff over. All OK till I get to the windows bit - of course I can't copy anything cos windows is in use.
So I think I'll do an xcopy. But buggered if I know how to do DOS commands, plus the guys in my other forum tell me it'll be no good.
2nd bit - the guy wants a 20gb drive so I have to go through this again with a brand new drive tomorrow.
Mummy is going quietly insane here.....
ps. He has no apps on CD. This HDD has been going for a gazillion years and has heaps of info and proggys.
:(

[ol][li]clone the old disk to your new 20gig disk[/li][li]Remove old disk, set jumper on new disk to master, and boot[/li][li]Use the tools included in win9x to convert the drive from fat16 to fat32 (both Partitions)[/li][li]Use Partition Magic to mearge the two partitions, your done.[/ol]
Than I'd put a fresh install of win98se on, in a new DIR. such as Win98 or Windows98, and make all the updates from windows- updates

I would suggest Norton ghost..it has the ability to apply and fat16 image and convert it when installing it on bigger drive..if you don't have ghost, you can get trial version at symantec.com
good luck

**Note**
If you end up using ghost to copy from a small drive to a larger drive, use partition magic and check the cluster size when done. Otherwise, you may have some little, wierd errors (most noticable is "out of memory" errors when running defrag or scandisk in windows).

Something I have just realised. I don't have the original HDD at the moment.
I have a burn of both the driveimage and a straight burn of the 2 partitions.
I have a 2nd HDD with a clean instal of OS and copy all the stuff over, except for windows.
So is this right? I will instal drive image on the drive, use the burned image to restore it to that drive, and then do one of the above suggestions (including d/l ghost).
I think I've outthunk myself...... Seek and ye shall find
Blessings Be :eek:)

BTW - How rude of me! Thanks for the replies :) Seek and ye shall find
Blessings Be :eek:)

Install the images to the new disk, make sure it will boot, then defrag and, Use the tools included in win9x to convert the drive from fat16 to fat32 (both Partitions)
Use Partition Magic to merge the two partitions....

If all goes right you should have a good working Win9x box. I would still do a fresh install of windows to a new Dir. Don't forget to up-date windows drivers and DLL files.
"More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back