Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy UNIX Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigworm

MIS
Dec 2, 2002
US
My brother asked me a question; and my computer skills in UNIX are very limited so I had only had an idea as to what to do.I don't know how to do it though.<br>The problem was that my brother had a computer running UNIX for his business.All that was on it was an inventory application.Now he bought another computer also and was going to set up both because his business is doing so well.He asked me how he could copy UNIX and the inventory software to the other computer.There is a tape drive on one.He proposed that he could copy the entire system onto the tape.And then move the tape drive to other computer and copy onto the hard drive.I thought that instead of that ( we would need drivers for the tape drive on the new computer ) we could take the new computers hard drive and place it in the old computer and connect it as a slave drive.And then we could just copy over the entire system.<br>Now my questions are:<br><br>1.Would this work?Or would UNIX not be copied completely or would UNIX see the new computer and not like the move?<br>2.What commands would I use to make this move?

Hi bigworm, (nice nickname by the way &lt;grin&gt;)<br><br>Some questions:<br><br>Are these two computers connected on a network?<br><br>Are these two computers running the same version of Unix? (are they both running Linux or HPUS or Solaris) <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back