Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy to greyed out when trying to copy a user profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2010
BB
I am trying to create a roaming user profile.
I log on to the windows 7 client as the user then log off and log on as the server 2008 domain administrator.
On system properties I select user profiles, select the user profile from the list but the copy to tab is greyed out. The only user where the copy to tab is not greyed out is the default user profile.

works perfectly with windows XP

Any one has any ideas about how to solve this problem?

Seems the issue you are experiencing is a global one related to Windows 7. There are workarounds to this issue, but the issue has been brought to Microsoft's attention for quite some time now.

Have a look at the following thread on Microsoft's site where this issue has been discussed in quite lengthy detail.

- Cannot copy user profiles

The following page provides some good information on the issue and some step-by-step instructions for manually accomplishing the task you are after.

- Windows 7 – Unable to Copy a User Profile

One of the users in the Microsoft thread I posted above figured out how to convert a Windows XP profile into a Windows 7 profile and even created an instructional video showing how to do this. Read the following page for information and the link to the video on how to accomplish this.

- Windows 7 Profiles

Finally if you search the page on the Microsoft thread I posted for the words "Windows Enabler," you'll find several users talk of success from using this free downloadable program. This program will enable the use of the greyed out button, but some users say they experienced some issues with the copied profile that they ended up with.

Hope you find a solution to your problem out of the provided information.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back