Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy SSA VG to EMC Symmetrix 8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

comtec17

Vendor
Jun 18, 2002
US
Hello all!
I am currently in the process of adding some EMC SAN disk to 3 of my AIX 4.3.3 servers. My current data/VG/LV/FS reside on SSA disk which I will be retiring after the EMC is in place.

Now off to my question:

My current AIX server has 2 VG's. One of them is rootvg, but it is staying on local disk. My other VG is on SSA. My VG on SSA contains 9 LV's rangeing in size. I am only currently using about 10% of each LV and want to reduce them. I know that there is a command called "lreducevg" that is unsupported by IBM and there are some serious risks, so with that said I dont want to do that.

The reason for reducing the sizes of the LV's is due to the EMC disk that is being created is smaller than what I currently have assigned. I would like to do a VGMirror or an LVMirror to the new disk.

Can I mirror the VG and LV's to disk smaller than that of the current SSA disk? I would like to copy this data over the the new disk using the same VG names and LV names. I am looking for the easiest, most reliable to do this. I will export the old VG when the mirror/restore/copy of it is complete and disconnect my SSA and have it as a standby.

To sum up my questions:

What is the best method of mirroring/copying my current VG to a set of new PV's that are smaller?

Thanks in advance and sorry about rambling on.

CoMteC17

The hard part of all this is reducing the LV's, I dont know if there is really any easy way to do that. I would just define new VG's LV's and file systems, then copy the data.

You could rename the filesystems back to the old names after you were done.

ed

Ed Skolnik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back