Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy SQL2000 db to SQL7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash0

Programmer
May 23, 2001
AU

I need to know if there is a reliable way to transfer a database created in SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 7.

I purposely did not use any fancy data types as I could see this issue coming up.

Thanks

DTS export/import or you could script out the entire database from enterprise manager and then execute the script on the SQL 7, then import the data.

Thanks. I think I'll go with the DTS option.

But, will I be able to connect to the source database from another network. I've done this from inside an intranet from one database to another, but never tried it from totally different network.

But, will I be able to connect to the source database from another network. I've done this from inside an intranet from one database to another, but never tried it from totally different network.

Are you talking about networks separated by a firewall or some other packet filtering? The answer would be 'maybe' - depends on what ports you have open. You'll need at least whatever port SQL Server is listening on open so that you can connect to it export from/import to the target. Default TCP/IP port is 1433. If you're using windows authentication, you might need the netbios ports open as well, which most admins won't open. You can use SQL Authentication, but then the password isn't encrypted.
I would strongly consider the use of VPN to tunnel into the target network, then initiate the connection, or setup a SQL 2k server inside the other network and detach/attach the database files to this new server then perform the import. Everything else has too many security holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back