Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy ROM Font and assign a FONTID

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledoyle

Technical User
Dec 17, 2008
US
I have a customer that needs to use a resident PCL font with a different FONTID. Looking at the PCL Command Reference it appears that I select the typeface (Font) that I want to use, then use the copy/assign command to make a copy of the ROM font into RAM and then assign a FontID. Is that correct? I want to assign fontid of 1014 to a resident Times Font. Here is what I think I would send to the printer. Can you check this for me please?

Select Times Font <ESC>(4101T
Copy assign current font <ESC>*c6F
Assign FONTID of 1014 to font <ESC>*c1014D
Make 1014 Font Permanent <ESC>*c1014d5F

Is this correct? Thanks

Is this correct?

NO.

The first sequence will select a font which supports the coded-character-set with Symbol Set identifier 4101T.

I suspect that what you intended was to select the font with Typeface identifier 4101, in which case you'd need:

{esc}(s4101T

although (as this is only a partial font selection sequence) it may not select the font you expect, if the previously selected font was a fixed-pitch font, or the selection had included a symbol set not supported by this typeface.

A full font selection sequence for the CG Times font would be something like:

{esc}(19U{esc}(s1p10v0s0b4101T

as you would see if you printed off a PCL TypeFace List from your LaserJet printer.

As for the other sequences: I think that all you'd need is:

{esc}*c1014d6F

i.e. the order of the 'assign ID' and 'copy font' sequences should be reversed.

... and the final {esc}*c1014d5F is probably not required, as the font you are 'copying' is (supposed to be) a ROM-resident font, in which case it is not actually copied at all (it's just given an alias); it depends on what you later want to do with the identifier.

But why go to all this bother?
If you have to put in a (preferably full) font selection sequence to select the ROM font, in order to associate it with an identifier (as you'd perhaps use with a downloaded soft font), why not just use the font selection sequence directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back