Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy / Re-Create Outlook PST folder structure only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwheads

Programmer
Apr 24, 2004
ZA
Hi All

I am looking for some code to copy all folders (no emails) to a new pst file. i.e. copy entire folder structure and subfolders to a new pst file with no data.
I have a user with a very complex folder/subfolder structure in a 16GB PST. I want to start this user with the same structure in a brand new file. If I go the archive and compress route it will take 3 days.
Does anybody know some VBA code or an existing product that can achieve this?
Cheers

Right off hand, I can see the need for this, but can't think of a quick easy solution off the top of my head. At first, I was thinking that is possibly in the simple Export/Import options, but I don't think that it is - I was thinking of something else, perhaps.

So if it's not possible in the import/export settings, then you could set up some VBA code to do this:
1. Read the folder/subfolder architecture from Outlook
2. Feed that information into a blank spreadsheet

Then create a new blank profile.... then
1. Use VBA to copy the folder structure from Excel to the new profile.. so you'll need to create the folders, based on the naming given in the spreadsheet.

I don't think it'd be terribly difficult to do it this way if you already know a little bit of VBA. If you want to go that route, and want help at any point, post in the VBA forum: forum707

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi kjv1611

Thank you for the response. I did find a very simple solution yesterday and it works perfectly. (with no programming required)

If you do an archive on the entire PST and set the "archive before" date to a date too far in the past to actually move any emails, then the PST is re-created with all the folders and subfolders, but no emails.

Hope this can help someone along the way.

That is a nifty little trick. Hopefully I'll remember it. Thanks for sharing.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back