Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy prevention when burning CD with data in windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hi guys,

Is there a software program that will allow me to burn data into a cd/dvd that will prevent copying? I would like to burn some sensitive data into a CD/DVD and give it to someone else so that they can view it ONLY... I want to make sure that they cannot copy the contents of it to another storage device (or at least make it very hard for them to do so)

Thanks Alot

Nope, as soon as it can be read it can be copied. There's no preventing that. Even if you have copy protection for the DVD itself, any files that can be opened can be saved to the computer via whichever application is used to open them.

If you are concerned about sensitive material that much make them sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Other than that there's not much to do.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

that's not entirely true. If the original documents are Office documents, for example, then it is vaguely possible to use Microsoft's DRM. Sadly it has never become as straightforward as MS wanted. And products such as Acrobat also allow you to restrict access up to a point.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Adobe's protection limits edit ability of a file, but can do nothing to prevent copying the file from one location to another.

Same thing applies with the CD protection. It can block copying of the CD contents to another CD directly, but exploring the CD will allow you to copy individual files.

Documents inside must still be fully readable and so copyable.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thanks for the info guys, I guess there is just no way of doing it, as mentioned above if the files are readable then they are copy-able...What I think is the best solution for this is to give this person the files on a laptop and give them a limited user account to login that will have read only rights to the files. I will use the Admin account to disable all usb ports so that they can not copy the files to a flash drive, I will disable the NIC also and make sure that the hard drive is encrypted and that it boots only if it matches MAC address of motherboard so that they cannot take the hard drive out and connect it to another computer....do you guys think that would work?

Why not just get a thumb drive, encrypt it with TrueCrypt and give him the password and the USB stick?

I use it for my sensitive data at the office.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

If i give them the password for the encrypted thumb drive they will be able to copy the contents

My fault, I was under the assumption that you didnt want others to be able to have access/see/copy but the intended target could. In that case, depending on what the files are as stated above, you are at that programs mercy as far as security settings but I dont know of a way to make them uncopyable, sorry.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Even if there were a way to prevent copying (which I agree there is not if you can READ/OPEN the document), somebody could take a digital picture or screen shot of the open document and save it and be on their way with a "copy" of it.

@goombawaho.

Taking a screenshot is ok with me, I just don't want them to copy the documents to an alternate storage device. I think giving them a laptop is the only solution for what I intend to do

hairlessupportmonkey - you get the "most expensive solution proposed" award!!!!!!! That's usually my specialty.

Besides, couldn't the guy just enable the USB and/or wifi???? Or slave the hard drive and copy away...................

Hi,
OK, old fashioned idea:
Print the data on paper and give them that.

(nothing prevents the recipient of paper or computer files from giving it/them to someone else, so why not just give it to them ?)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

@Turkbear Printing would be great but we have 100,000 files to print which are in different formats

@goombawaho I wold give them an account with limited access which will not allow then to enable USB ports or WiFi

I know this is a petty side rambling off the original subject, but:
Slaving the hard drive bypasses security.

@goombawaho if they try to slave the hard drive they will NOT be able to access the contents since it will be Encrypted as I mentioned above.

Thanks

Yeah, that sounds more reasonable/possible. Wonder if the OP has given up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back