Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexsus

Technical User
Oct 28, 2004
NO
Just startet using Corel Draw after 10 years with illustrator (why?.. changed work and corel draw is the tool). Now I have to adapt to a new environment, but there things I like to change if its possible.

Copy and paste: When I copy something and move the screen to the place I like to paste it.. it does not center the paste in the midle of my screen, but back to the page. why is this and can I change it to paste to the middle of the screen?

Moving. Have used space bar for moving around the screen. Now its the letter H I have to press and thats a hard thing to change to when I have used photoshop/illustrator for maaany years. help!

I did try to convert all of this to Illustrator workspace, but I still cant use space bar to move around the screen.

There is a lot of other smal things I like to ask about, but this will do for now. Corel draw is a very good tool in making layout for cutting foil and I really like the tools for measures.

Nexsus

When you cut or copy sopmething, it pastes back in the exact same spot it was copied from. If you don't like the way that works, and are staying on the same page - you might try DUPLICATE (CTRL+D). Otherwise, as far as I know, you are limited to it pasting from the same location it was cut from.

As for changing the H for the HAND TOOL - go to Tools > Customization > Commands (under the Customization header) > View (from the drop down menu on the right side at the top) > Hand tools icon - about 3/4 way down the list.
Select the "Shortcut Keys" tab on the right, and under the "Current Shrotcut Key" box it should say "H". You can "Delete" button that if you choose, then above that in the "New Shortcut Key" dialogu box, click to move your cursor there and hit the space bar. The word "Space" Should appear. Then you can click the "Assign" button. I am not sure what will happen with the current space bar assignment. On my setup it appears that the space bar selects the pointer.

On a side note, instead of (or in addition to) pressing H or Spacebar, if you zoom in and out with the scroll wheel, if you move the pointer around the screen while you are zooming, the new zoom location will lock on your cursor, so the next step in points you on that point. This is quite conveninet for examining detail sections of your work without having to pan.

Hope this helps. Many of the customization features can be found in this section, and this might help you change your setups to something you are more familiar with. The only problems I think you will encounter are intrinsic functions of the program. Things like the cut and paste issue may be an example. You might be able to work around that, I looked in the customization section of the Paste and Paste Special functions, under their shortcut key, I noticed SHIFT + INSERT - this works well in a place where you can pinpoint a cursor (i.e. text). This allows the cut or copied object to be inserted where your cursor is. Hope this menu gets your workflow back to a familar feel.

Also with cut and past, wherever your object is on the page pressing P will put in the middle of the page.
Alan D

Thank you for the answar on this subject. Its good to see we have experts on the field that spend some extra time answaring green horns like me.

I did change the move to the space bar and now it works, but it does not release the hand when I lift my thumb from the spacebar. I guess its supposed to be like that?

Nexsus

My guess is yes - this is normal behavior as you are not invoking a temporary condition, but instead using a shortcut key to select a new item. This would be the same as selecting the text tool - a release of the button would not return it back to the pick tool.

You might try the Pick Tool shortcut with a close by button (Space + CTRL) or even "Space,Space". This allows multiple buttons to be pressed in a row, as opposed to the "+" which requires the holding of the first button PLUS the second button. So it may be easier to assign the Pick tool to a single space, and the hand tool to two presses of the space bar. What would be needed for a "momentary condition" is something similar to the interface in MS Access - an "On CLICK" and "ON UP" command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back