Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy / Paste Value without VBA and without user action

Status
Not open for further replies.

remeng

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
US
Hi,

Is there a way to auto copy and paste value without a user's action such as paste special - values? The reason for this is that when a user changes a input from blank to some value, it records who made the change. If I use a formula, the user's login can be capture, but since formulas are dynamic, when a separate user logs in, the formula will update with the new user's name and overwrite the previous user's name. I cannot disable auto calculate either.

Normally, I would process this with a VBA script, but the computer that this will need to work on is locked down.

Here is the formula that I am currently using:

Code:
=IF(B5<>"",MID(INFO("DIRECTORY"),10,LEN(INFO("DIRECTORY"))-LEN(MID(INFO("DIRECTORY"),FIND("\",INFO("DIRECTORY"),10),1000))-LEN("C:\Users\")),"")

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

You are asking for some form of "magic", that works under certain conditions, but not others, and without code or formula.

What do you think?

A mindreading app

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

So ahhh no? lol

Ok guys. I figured that there wasn't a way without pixie dust and farts.

Thanks!

NO! No 'mindreading app', please...
If somebody creates such an app, we will all lose our jobs as programmers [mad]
And I have a few years to go until my retirement ...

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Firefox: Clint Eastwood steals a USSR advanced thought controlled supersonic fighter jet.

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
You Energy!

When you just think: “Fire that missile!” [laser] And missile fires, it is (easy?) different than when you want to: Copy that value from this location to the other place in there when the day is sunny, but it is not Monday, but on the 13th of the month give me a message box stating so, and when you are done – e-mail notification about it to appropriate people with high urgency mark. [lol]

---- Andy

Can you imagine, being able to take thoughts that are unclear, un-concise and incomplete and compute an acceptable result? Seems to me like a recipe for disaster.

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

That's my Monday thru Friday, 7:00am-3:30pm life....[rofl2]

---- Andy

Oh, yes, I commiserate.

What happens in vagueness, stays in vagueness!

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back