Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy OST

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezanine

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2001
US
I have a users who has a laptop that he used at a different organization, the user was also part of a domain with the other org.. I have added the computer to my domain. I am unable to do a profile copy from his old domain account to the new one. I have manually moved all files over, my question is can I get his old .OST files somehow imported into his new email account with my organization?

OST files are linked to the MAPI mail profile on the PC. Delete the MAPI profile, and the OST is toast. Likewise, you cannot attach the OST of one MAPI profile to a different profile.

An OST is just a synchronised copy of the mailbox (we're talking Exchange here). So unless the user has processed and written some mail offline, there shouldn't be anything worth saving in the OST. In cases when you do need to save offline worked-on or generated emails, the procedure is: start up the profile in offline mode; add a PST (personal folders) to the profile; drag/copy/move the email you want to save to the PST; detach the PST from the profile; log out. Now the PST has all the mail you've saved, and can be added into a new, different profile (PSTs aren't linked to MAPI profiles or even mailboxes) and the mail recovered that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back