Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy or move shared folders from 2k to 2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxkid1

Technical User
May 29, 2005
US
Hello all we have a 2K server with shared folders on it. Users have mapped drives to these folders to store there documents. If I COPY these folders from 2K server to 2K3 server, the users no longer have full control. I have also pointed the users mapped drive to the folder on the 2K3 server. If I uncheck the read only box on the 2K3 server, it just re-appears after I close and look at the properties again. I have not tried to MOVE the folders just COPY. Should I try and MOVE the folder? Thanks for your help in the past and future.

In situations like this you can use ROBOCOPY or Windows 2003 XCopy (which now has the functionality of SCOPY -- which is used to re-create shares on another volume). The advantage of these tools is that you will be able to copy file/folder security at the same time.

thanks itsp, i will give xcopy a try

robocopy from the Resource Kit is what I would recommend. I've moved terabytes with it. It maintains all NTFS security, and can be used in the background.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back