Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy files from Server to client machine on clicking button on webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravula2000

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a webapplication on a server. In this webapplication we have to provide a menu where users can select a list of files from a directory and on pressing download, the files should be automatically copy to users local machine say in c:\. Is this possible using Javascript or vb or asp

Thanks
Srini

I'm not a client side scripting expert by any means (fiddling with web development, but my background is applications). However, I would say you are perhaps looking at having to use Javascript.

The problem with Javascript though (and all such client side scripts) is what happens if people have scripting disabled? Many people disable scripts as a security precaution - especially in commercial environments.

I've always tried to stick to server side scripting, because you know what's there and what it can do. How you might accomplish this though is something of a problem. Have you thought of redirecting the HTTP headers?

mmilan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back