Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy File service - sorry "Search" is down :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwolf00

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
US
I know this is fairly simple. I want to create a service to make a copy of a file(MSAccess) daily. I would love to compress/zip it but that is very secondary. I can write the basic VB already - what do I need to do to make it a service versus an executable? Is there any difference?

PS - I'm sure the answer is out there already, but the "Search" function is currently down.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

zen.gif

Can anyone point me to a tutorial about adding a windows service to XP professional? Do I need and .exe or a .dll?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

zen.gif

Why not compile your code as an EXE and create a scheduled task to execute it?

Microsoft has an OCX available for download that will let you convert an exe into a service. Never used it myself but it has been discussed on this forum in the past.

jcrater - the one thing that I don't like about the task scheduler is that you have to remember to go there to change your password when you change the password on your machine. The security setup here forces us to change passwords every 3 months and some users would forget to reset the password in the scheduler...

zen.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back