Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy current profile to Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyRiegel

Programmer
Sep 29, 2003
US
I have 3 Usernames on my system:

Randy
Ran
Administrator

I want to replace the current "Administrator" profile with the "Randy" profile. I have tried the "Copy to" method by right-clicking on MyComputer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> UserProfile -> Settings. It first warns me that I'm going to overwrite existing files, I say Ok. Then I get an error "Failed to set security on destination profile. Error Access is denied". I can't even copy them to a directory I just created (an empty one).

I have also tried the method on microsoft KB that manually copies the profile from directory to the other. Still getting Access denied errors.

How can I copy:

c:\documents and settings\randy

TO:

c:\documents and settings\administrator

?

Thanks,
Randy

Unless Randy is an administrator, it wont let you, becasue you would be demoting the Built in Admin account. Why don't you just make Randy an Administrator?

It's never wise to use the built in Admin account on a PC. Becasue if anything happens your locked out of the PC.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Randy is an Administrator. I know it's not wise but I need to be able to on this one machine.

Reason: I have a VB6 application that communicates to a 2003 server by a DCOM component, the 2003 machine is running an app called Cimplicity that communicates with a PLC. The DCOM component on my machine gets the PLC data from Cimplicity. This all worked fine until the company I am a subcontractor for decided to upgrade to Win2003 server. Now I can only get my dcom component to work IF I log in as administrator on my machine and have the same password as the "Cimplicity Server". Kind of a messed up situation but that is what the administrator of that machine (not related to my company at all so I have no control over it) told me to do.

Randy

Hi,
Can't you configure your DCOM component to run under an administrator account with the needed password, even though you may be logged in as someone else?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I have tried that. Under the "Identity" tab of the properties for that DCOM Component I can tell it which user to run as. I put in administrator and the password but it does not work. Any idea why it wouldn't work that way?

Randy

OK I'm not following.
Works as Admin.
Doesn't work as Randy.
Solution:
Replace Admin (working) with Randy (not working).
Wouldn't it be better to Copy Admin to Randy and replace the non working one with the working one.
I don't think that will fix the issue anyway.
Since it happened after an upgrade my assumption is the server guys don't have your access setup properly in the new 2003 world. Not login but dcom and/or wbem. The local admin account has rights to access this but not Randy. Yeah I know you're an admin to the box but that obviously isn't giving Randy any access. Ask them what is your access rights regarding dcom?
FYI:
At CMD prompt -- key in dcomcnfg and hit enter.
Component Services -- Computers
Right click My Computer -- Properties -- Security -- Access
See there's security and its different in 2003.

To copy profiles you obviously need full permissions to the whole folder structure you are copying to (ie, the administrator one in this case) from the user you are doing the copy in. And you must be logged in as a third user - so in your case you would need to be logged in as Ran to copy Randy to Administrator, and Ran would need full permissions to the Administrator profile structure. If this is all true, then I don't know why its not working.

But if you can't do the copy - what do you actualy need from the Randy profile? (documents, shortcuts?, email etc?) Can't you just copy the bits you need into Administrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back