Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy As Text Produces All The Columns + 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWD

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
GB
Good afternoon, I have noticed that when I copy an n-column report as text and paste into Excel, it pastes as n+1. I've experimented with a simple report - no wrapped text etc. - but it still does it.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks,
D€$

Hi,

In some other non-Excel forum, there was a post regarding some problems getting a report into Excel. I responded that I detest reports from other systems that they want in Excel. There are almost always problems that require massaging the data.

And now here it is again, like a broken record!

My recommendation, from 20+ years of Excel experience, is grit your teeth and massage the data or find the source data for the report and duplicate the import via a query to bypass the problem. I managed to be able to do that maybe 95% of the cases.

There were cases when I was required to QUERY data in BO, but I NEVER exported a report! I rather exported the DATA so I could do further analysis in Excel

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip. Basically I am just trying to get only the data, paste them into an existing workbook where the next column to the right is calculated, so I don't want it overwritten with the blank column output from BO.

[pre]
Data for 15/16 is up to November 2015 Totals 2015/16 % Variance 2014/15 vs 2015/16 (forecast)
Ear, Nose & Throat 205 6%
[/pre]

I suppose the most logical way around this is just to copy out the data into a blank workbook and then copy only the columns I require. Just another joyful aspect of BO I guess!
[hairpull]

Oh, and I've already forgotten how to paste headings and data here! (I thought it was [Pre]. Not much hope for me really.

Many thanks,
D€$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back