Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy and replace a file that is in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebadboy2001

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2003
CA
I've seen an option in the command-line set for XP to copy and overwrite a .dll in use, but, I cannot find it again. Does anyone out there know of this command that will copy and replace a file on the next reboot such as the kernel32.dll?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think those two programs have any replace option (although Windows File Protection might do it automatically if it is a protected file).

Have a look at these options.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

310497 - HOW TO: Add More Power to Recovery Console By Using Group Policy in Windows XP Professional

Use the Recovery Console to delete and replace the file.

Use the Expand command from Recovery Console or better still the MsConfig window.
Expand extracts a file from a compressed file. Use this command to extract a driver file from a cabinet (.cab) or compressed file from your XP CD.

How to Replace Currently Locked Files with Inuse.exe (Q228930)

Thank you very much for the help linney. The "inuse.exe" looks like it is only good for Windows NT and 2000.

I will use the Recovery Console to replace the files. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back