Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy and paste record

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesplan

MIS
Feb 8, 2008
CA
Hello there - I am a new user. I run a small business and for years we have been using the Appleworks database to keep track of our customers.

I want to upgrade to Filemaker (to get with the times) and I'm not understanding one basic feature. How does one copy and entire record in on database and paste it into another database that is laid out exactly the same. This is very easy to do in Appleworks but I'm missing something as far as FM is concerned.

I need to be able to move contacts between databases without re-typing all of the info.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric W.

You can write a script to export the selected record(s) to a temp file, import it into the other database, then delete the original record(s)

Since you are new to scripting, don't include the Delete step until you are sure the export/import works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back