Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy AIX Filesets from CD to FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcasey

MIS
Oct 31, 2002
US
I would like to copy all of the installable filesets from CD to disk.

I have looked at the bffcreate command and wondered if anyone has used this? It appears that you have to supply each fileset name individually. But, I am looking at doing a mass copy if that's possible.

Running this command:

bffcreate -l -d /dev/cd0 | more

gives me:

Package Name Level I/U Content
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IMNSearch.rte 2.0.0.0 I usr,root
idebug.adt 8.4.1.0 I usr
idebug.client.gui 8.4.1.0 I usr,root
idebug.client.olt 8.4.1.0 I usr
xlC.aix41 4.0.2.2 I usr
xlC.aix43 4.0.2.2 I usr
xlC.msg.Ja_JP 4.0.2.0 I usr
xlC.msg.en_US 4.0.2.0 I usr
xlC.msg.ja_JP 4.0.2.0 I usr
xlC.msg.zh_CN 4.0.2.0 I usr
xlC.rte 4.0.2.0 I usr

I really don't need all the foreign language filesets, but I figured if I just copied it all, I wouldn't miss any dependents.

I do it, but then I have an SP complex with 80+ nodes. And you have to!

Why anyone else would though ???????? Got me!

Hi

I do use the bffcreate command and following is the easiest way for your problem:

# bffcreate -l -d /dev/cd0 > my_file

edit the my_file and remove the packages you don't want, then

#bffcreate -d /dev/cd0 -f my_file

The above will create the images in /usr/sys/inst.images, if you want them to be relocated you can use

#bffcreate -d /dev/cd0 -f my_file -w /xyz

JSiva -------------------------------------
jsknair@yahoo.com
PSI Data Systems Limited
Bangalore - 560025

Why do it? One reason is because we're doing some Disaster Recovery planning. We have a "code" server that contains all of our Windows 2000 operating system code as well as application code.

That server is backed up offsite. If we don't have the CD's then we'll have to have the code someplace. Mostly just applications for our AIX servers.

Thank you JSiva, I will give that a try!

FYI, just discovered that a -t is needed to write the images to a specified directory. A -w is used to tells bffcreate to that directory as a temporary working directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back