Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy a file across a vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevint21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2001
GB
I have setup remote access to our network for a few clients using a vpn into our firewall. They connect successfully and then they can remote desktop ok onto the servers i have allowed them to view. One user needs to copy a few files of one of these servers, amend it on his laptop and then copy it back over to the server.

When we tried it - it doesnt show the paste facility. Maybe you cant copy and paste across a vpn or remote desktop. Any ideas. Has anyone did this before.

I do it all the time (as do millions of others) it should work fine. If you're doing inside remote desktop, exactly how are you accessing the local laptop drive?

Try using 2 open explorer windows (1 local machine, 1 server) to drag & drop, rather than the copy & paste method.

Smah, i had a go at this but it must be because of the firewall or something. It wont let me do it. Do i need to open a port for ftp on this rule on the firewall. Would that help?

What i do is start the laptop and connect to the VPN with a 3G card. When i get a connection, i then connect to the vpn software and connect to my corporate network. I have setup rules on the firewall to allow me access to certain servers and have opened up ports for remote desktop and dns so far. Should i open up IP. But maybe that is opening up too much for this group of users and they will end up accessing other group drives that i dont want them to have access to. Thanks Kevin

There is no need to open any FTP ports if the VPN is properly established (and it wouldn't make any difference since you're not using FTP).

Does what you're trying to do work correctly from inside the network with the same user credentials? (Basically doing it from inside the network to take the VPN out of the picture)

Once connected, you can set up shares (like a folder called "transfers" and share it). Then, go to Run and type
\\host\share

Replace host with the IP address or host name, and the share with the folder or directory name. I do mine this way, and it works fine.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back