Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy 25GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deak

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
Hello I need to copy 25GB of images from one server (2003 Server) on my network to another server (server 2000)hopefully maintaining permissions & rights to them. I have a migration tool called FSMigrate.msi which I used once a very long time ago & can not remember the details on how to answer what I want to do. The folder is called images & its on a share on server olddb (hostname) the new server is Db290 (hostname). Does anyone have some ideas on what I need to do to use this utility or do you have another utility that will help me out. I was going to drag & drop however I am wanting something that would pick up where it left off if something would happen while copying the images as well as keep permissions & rights. Any thoughts or ideas?

Also have sub folders to be concerned with as well.

never heard of fsmigrate but you can easily accomplish what you want to do here using ROBOCOPY resource kit tool

Couldn't you just use XCOPY?

Something like this:
Code:
XCOPY /E /C /H /K /O /X /Y source dest
Type HELP XCOPY to see what all those parameters mean.

Robocopy is a better choice. It will copy the SACLs & DACLs when used with the correct switches.

robocopy "\\srv\share\folder" "\\dest\share\folder" /np /e /v /r:1 /w:1 /copyall >>copylog.txt

/np = No progress indicator (helps when sending output to log)
/e = copy all sub-folders including empties
/v = verbose
/r:1 = retry once
/w:1 = wait 1 second between retries
/copyall = copy ACLs and attributes

You can then check the copylog.txt file to make sure that all the files copied correctly.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

I use xxcopy pretty much the same as robocopy but has a few more features. Currently using it for a cust that has 3million wav files and 15million folders (complex folder structure). Across the network is cuurently shifting about 8GB an hour

XXCOPY source destination /S /K

/s include subfolders
/k keep attributes

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

Thanks everyone. Robo copy appears to have done the trick for me. I never lost connection so I am just not sure how it would have restarted would it pick back up from where it stopped. But Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back