Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copies of messages not remaining on server when viewed remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disey

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
AU
One of our users needs to access his email at his primary location and, once a week, at a remote location. We're using Exchange 5.5 on the server and Outlook 2000 on the client machines.

Despite selecting "leave copy of messages on the server" the messages are downloading at the remote location and disappear from the server at the primary location.

I assumed this to be a local set-up error as I set this up successfully a couple of years ago however I've now set up the same scenario on a different server, different client and completely different location with exactly the same result.

I can't see why it's not working and have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base without success.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

And you have not set 'remove from server after # days ' (?)

Thanks for your response.

No, all mail normally stays on the server until it's deleted by the user.

What PAndersen meant was that you should make sure the user checks not only the "leave copy of messages on the server" box, but also chooses "remove from server after # days" and sets the number of days, typically greater than 1. If not done, the messages might be staying on the server for 0 days, in other words clearing themselves anyway.

Thank you. I'll get them to check and let you know how we go.

Have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back