Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coordinated Dialing Plan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coniglio

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
A vendor set up a CDP for all 17 of my offices (all 25.4 option 11s). When anyone in any of these offices dials 4000 the CDP deletes 4 and inserts an outside phone number. What I've noticed is in some of the switches the inserted # is programmed as 912125551212 and in others it programmed simply as 12125551212 (no lead 9). How is it determined whether the 9 is needed? I assumed that since this is technically an outside call I always need a 9. Thank you.

probobly done in the DMI table

A Co-ordinated Dialling Plan (CDP) identifies a string of digits (steering code), up to seven in length, and routes calls according to the rules programmed against this feature.

The Overlays used to set up a CDP are 86 and 87.
86 sets up the route selection and any digit manipulation required.
87 sets up the actual steering code and points to a specific route selection data block.

Take for example a situation where, a business has 2 Meridians with a network link connecting them, the route number on both switches is 100, extensions on Meridian A wish to call extensions on Meridian B,
Meridian A has extensions 2000 - 2999 and Meridian B also has extensions 2000 - 2999.
A CDP can be set up on both Meridians and extension users would be required to dial this followed be the extension number on the distant Meridian.
In this case extensions users would be instructed to dial 7 to connect to the extensions on the network.

Firstly a Digit Manipulation Table would be required as set out below:-
LD 86

REQ NEW
CUST xx
FEAT DGT (Digit manipulation data block)
DMI xxx (Digit Manipulation table index number, check other DGT table numbers and choose a unique one)
DEL 1 (in this case delete the first digit 7, the option can be anything between 0 and 15)
INST 0 (in this case no digits require inserting as the extension number is all that is required but up to 20 . digits can be inserted)

Once the DGT is created then a Route List Block (RLB) can be set up, this is the data block necessary to control which route the calls are carried over and any time of day barring or digit manipulation can be applied here.

Again in LD 86

REQ NEW
CUST xx
FEAT RLB (Route list block)
RLI xx (Route list index number, check all present tables and choose a unique number)
ENTR xx (Routing option, start with first choice 0 and graduate up to a possible 63)
ROUT xx (enter the route number of the link in this case 100)
TOD xx (time of day barring on the chosen route can be applied here, please refer to the manual if this is required)
DMI xx (Digit manipulation table number, in this case use the one allocated to the DGT table above)

After carriage returning through several prompts you will be presented with ENTR again, at this point it is possible to programme a 2nd choice route for the calls, if this is not required just carriage return through to the REQ prompt.

It is now possible to create the CDP

LD 87

REQ NEW
CUST xx
FEAT CDP (Co-ordinated dialling plan)
TYPE DSC (Distant steering code)
DSP DN (this is the display option to the destination set, DN is the preferred option but there are other options see manual for other choices)
RLI xx (enter the RLI created above)
FLEN xx (expected dialled digits, in this case 5, as the call does not need to start routing until all the digits are dialled)

carriage return through to the REQ prompt, now extension users can dial the other Meridians extensions just by prefixing the extension number with 7.

Colin

Check the DMI tables that they use some mey insert the 9 and some may not.

Never mind cmawbey covered that pretty well....Good Job

Thank you both. My question is that, in fact, some of the DMI tables are inserting the 9 and some are not. In which instance would I program the DMI to insert the 9 versus not insert the 9? does this have to do with the carrier? thank you again very much.

You shouldn't need to insert the 9 as the route is selected in the RLB.
eg, if you have a DSC of 4000, this will point to an RLB which has the route & DMI.
are some of your sites centrex where you need to send a 9 to line to exit the centrex.

the most common reason you see a 9 inserted into and outbound call screen is because of tandom switching. when i send a number to a switch from a switch and i want it hit the remote switch then dial 9+ pstn.. i do this on this site, this switch is in the 803, we have tie lines to a switch in the 864.. if you dial 9 1 864 980 xxxx from here i delete the 1 864., insert a 9 (bars took it off) and send 9 980 xxxx to the remote switch, the far end sees the 9 sends it to bars (strips the 9) and sends it out on a local route.. they do the same in reverse for calls that are local to me. i also use other switches on the network for overflow in the same manner, if a have a route down or busy, the call may reroute to another switch and back into my local exchange.. when testing i took my locals down, then dialed my did, the call went through 3 switches and came back in as a ld inbound from a different area code. sometimes that is the best way around toll, others it is just better then all trunks busy

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

we do not use tandem switching. We just have x4000 programmed in all remote PBXs to delete 4 and insert either 912125551212 or 12125551212. I just can't figure out how my tech determined that, at some of my offices, he needed to precede the phone # with a 9 and at others he did not.

are they pointed to the same route? and does the the far end switch have icd set up to insert the inbound 9, like an earlier post stated, if you using essex or centrex lines the co requires a 9.. if you send 9 1 212 555 1212 to a remote switch it will dial the 212 information number out of that switch. if you send 1212+ to a remote pbx it will look for 1212, either in a dsc or ext, adc etc

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

sorry, John, but you're losing me. what is "they"? these are all separate offices. They all have x4000 set up as CDP to route to phone #212-555-1212 (not the actual #, obviously). This # terminates in my office. no centrex, essex (never even heard of that) no IDC on my end. thanks.

Here is my two cents. I am new to this forum, but have working on Nortel PBX's for 10+ years.

The need for a 9 is not really there at all in the DMI. If you look at the RDB intead of the DMI, you should find your answer. The 9 is just an access code (AC) the PBX uses to privide dialtone for an outside call, then refer the following digits to a different section of the BARS/NARS database. For example, if you add a new area code, you select the route the call goes out, not the preceding digits and which AC that will be used. That is where AC's come in.

Your example does not need the AC because the digits have already been presented to the CDP part of BARS/NARS. All the PBX needs is the route (RLI) to send the call out on and the numbers to send out. Many Nortel PBX's are smart enough in the DMI table to ignore the first 9, but it is unnecessary.

Hope this helps.

Scott

The RDB Access Code is entirely different than the ESN Access Code for NARS/BARS.

Sorry for the confusion. I did not want to assume he has AC1 set to 9 and no AC2, or something different. The access code I was referring to is the AC1/AC2 in the ESN database.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back