Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooler suggestions please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

norty303

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
GB
OK, now u've answered my ram Q's I've been looking more closely at the processor upgrade and it seems the 2600 Barton 333 is the one to go for with regard for bang per buck and everyone says it'll overclock with no problems (I'm not an overclocker by habit but it does seem that EVERYONE who puts one of these in goes up a bit by default with no problems - be rude not to :) )

I'm looking for a cooler for it but it needs to be quiet (1. I do music 2. I sleep next to my PC - no not like that!!) The Aero 7 seems to be popular but people say it's noisy when turned up. I did buy a speed adjustable HS/fan combo for my 2000xp when they 1st came out and have to say it was soooo noisy, I changed for a standard coolermaster and reduced noise tenfold AND temp by 2c!! (go figure!)

So I think I'm prob looking for something quite plain looking that will just do the job but provide adequate cooling for a 'slightly' overclocked processor. I'm not interested in flashing lights, speed control or other gimmicks. Just solid, quiet cooling.

Would you prefer Fan/Heatsink cooling? or water cooling?

Think it's gonna have to be a fan because of a tight budget

I just assembled a PC with a XP2800+ retail package processor. It comes with a retail Cooler with the thermal paste already applied and runs very quiet. I think this is the best deal you can get if you dont want to overclock. It may cost a few more dollars than a OEM procuct but it is very quiet. I have mine in a Antec SLK3700AMB case. This case is actually quite good. It has rubber mounts that isolate the hard drive from the mounting bracket. In this manner not vibration noise is tranferred from the drive to the case. The case also has a 120mm exhaust fan. It is quiet and the Case is a very cool looking Metalic Gray finish like you expect on the hood of an automobile. The side panels have finger screws in the back and quick releas levers. I purchased it at The only thing I can add is it looks a lot nicer in person than their picture represents. It has the door that covers the drives which makes it even quieter.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I'm looking into getting the Alpha PAL 8942T heatsink for my pc, apparently (from what I've heard), its so good you don't need much of a fan. And for the fan I'm probably gonna buy one from there's some gooders there.

I think I'm going to go with a stock hs/fan as in my experience, if noise is an issue they provide the best cooling. I'll stick 1 intake and 2 exhaust fans in along with the 2 psu fans so this should give me enough leeway to make use of the PC3200 ram and 400fsb of the mobo with the 333 Barton I'm getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back