Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cookies with SSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiamat2012

Programmer
Dec 12, 2004
US
Hey everyone,

I've encountered a problem that I'm supposed to have a 3 day cookie expiration for someone to login to a secure section of a website (using ssl)

The code I'm using to set the expiration is

Code:
dim dexpire
dexpire = DateAdd("d",3,Now())
Response.Cookies.Expires=dezpire

I've tried many other things, and found that they all die when the session ends (which happens when you don't set the expiration date).

I should note that this code is above all the actual writing and requesting Cookies.

When I found this a problem, I saw reference saying Cookies and SSL don't work together because Cookies are a security leak, which I can believe to be true as I have a very simple Firefox tool that grabs all the cookies from a page for me. Is there anyway to make it work?

Sincerely,
Kerry

The first time you go to a library and request a book, you receive a "library card" in addition to the book. On subsequent visits to the library, you present the library card along with each new book request.

When the browser makes a HTTP request, the web server may give the browser a cookie. This cookie will be presented to the server together with subsequent HTTP requests.

Using SSL is like talking to the librarian in secret code.

Right.. it's encryption, but do you have a solution to my problem?

-Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back