Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cookies/session variable help

Status
Not open for further replies.

piratefan

Programmer
Jul 20, 2003
US
I've had trouble with some code concerning cookies. The code is very simple and checks a user's login, then displays a welcome consisting of their name and expiration date. For some reason, it works on some machines and not others. One of my users couldn't get it to work. And on two out of four machines I have, no go either. And the cookie permissions are set because every other daggone cookie in the world are on them.
I tried getting an answer about two weeks ago without any luck. So I redid the code using session variables. It works fine. But I am quite certain most of the pros(not me, amateur here) would probably use cookies. Especially dictionary cookies, to hold more than one value.
Anyone having any idea what my problem is, please let me know. Surely, I can't be the first one to have this happen, can I?
Thanks.

Source code perhaps? The only other thing that comes to mind is something I read in a reference book. It was to make sure that you reference the cookies case-sensitively. Apparently some browsers won't deal with cookies how you want them to unless you use the exact same case.

Otherwise, post some source code and the os/browser of the computers you tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back