Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cookie problem - ASP/Oracle/PLSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeez74

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US

I'm having a weird cookie problem and was wondering if any of you had experienced this and could help. We've got an old Oracle/PLSQL web application that creates a cookie containing some login and application info. I've been asked to write an ASP web page which needs to access the cookie generated by the Oracle/PLSQL app. The problem I'm running into is the ASP page can't see/find the Oracle/PLSQL app's cookie. I've tried playing around with the Reponse object, specifically the Cookies collection and the the HTTP_COOKIE Server Variable but haven't had any luck. I've never had problems using cookies with ASP before (not that I use cookies a lot - I don't think it's a good idea). Two things that might be important...1.) the web pages and the Oracle database are on different servers; 2.) I've been told that the cookie generated by the Oracle/PLSQL app is not a "normal" cookie but rather an "HTTP" cookie. Can anyone help me out with any suggestions/advice?

Thanks,
-Jason

The cookies are designed for holding data specifically for a relationship between a client and a server. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that having the cookie written from a different server and trying to access that cookie on an entirly different machine would not work. That's like sombody from joeSchmoe.com trying to retrive a cookie set on your machine set by Microsoft.com. They're not supposed to see it.

That might be your entire problem right there. Otherwise, I haven't dealt with ocracle at all, so I don't know the difference between it's cookies and asp's.

Hope that helps... -Ovatvvon :-Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back