Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Word to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhruby

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2002
US
I am trying to create a PDF from a Word document. When doing so, my margins are shrinking on my PDF. Why is this happening? I am embedding the fonts.

I have the same issue. Have found the following articles which I hope will be of help to both of us (and others):

Adobe Knowledgebase Article # 325969 states:
"Recommendations for Creating PDF Files from Word with Acrobat 5.0
If you change the default printer for a document, the formatting of the document may shift because Word applies page setup properties and resident fonts specific to the default printer driver. To preserve the original formatting of a document, make a copy of the document before changing the printer to Acrobat Distiller. After you change the printer, reformat the copy to correct formatting shifts, and then create a PDF file. For related information, see document 320206, 'Text Reflows into More or Fewer Pages in PDF File from Acrobat Distiller or Acrobat PDFWriter.'"

Adobe Knowledgebase Article # 320206 states:
"Text Reflows into More or Fewer Pages in PDF File

Issue
An Adobe PDF file has different text layout and number of pages than the document from which it was created.

Detail
You created the PDF file in Windows using Adobe Acrobat Distiller, Acrobat PDFWriter, or Adobe PDFMaker.

Solutions

Do one or more of the following:

Solution 1
If you use Microsoft Word, re-create the PDF file with Acrobat Distiller or Acrobat PDFWriter as the default printer and with print quality set to 600 dots per inch (dpi):

Note: Any image with a resolution greater than 600 dpi will be downsampled.

1. Make a backup copy of the original document. (If you later need to print the document to a printer, use this copy, which is already formatted for a printer.)
2. Close the application in which the document was created.
3. Choose Start > Settings > Printers (Windows 2000, Me, NT, 98, or 95) or Start > Printers and Faxes (Windows XP).
4. Right-click either Acrobat Distiller or Acrobat PDFWriter, and choose Set As Default Printer from the pop-up menu.

Note: In Windows XP, Set As Default Printer isn't available if Acrobat Distiller or Acrobat PDFWriter is already the default printer.

5. Change the print quality from 1200 dpi to 600 dpi:

-- Acrobat Distiller:

- Windows XP or 2000:
a. Right-click Acrobat Distiller, and choose Printing Preferences from the pop-up menu.
b. In the Acrobat Distiller Printing Preferences dialog box, click the Layout tab, and then click Advanced.
c. In the AdobePS Acrobat Distiller Advanced Options dialog box, click the plus sign (+) next to Graphic to expand the view, and then select 1200 dpi.
d. Choose 600 dpi from the Print Quality pop-up menu, click OK in the AdobePS Acrobat Distiller Advanced Options dialog box, and then click OK in the Acrobat Distiller Printing Preferences dialog box.

- Windows Me, 98, or 95:
a. Right-click Acrobat Distiller, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
b. In the Acrobat Distiller Properties dialog box, click the Graphics tab, choose 600 dpi from the Resolution pop-up menu, and then click OK.

- Windows NT 4 with Service Pack 3 or later:
a. Right-click Acrobat Distiller, and choose Document Defaults from the pop-up menu.
b. In the Acrobat Distiller Default dialog box, click the Advanced tab .
c. In the AdobePS Acrobat Distiller Advanced Options dialog box, click the plus sign (+) next to Graphic to expand the view.
d. Click Resolution, select 600 dpi from the Change 'Resolution' Setting list box, and then click OK.

-- Acrobat PDFWriter:

- Windows XP or 2000:
a. Right-click Acrobat PDFWriter, and choose Printer Preferences from the pop-up menu.
b. Click the Page Setup tab, and then choose 600 dpi from the Resolution pop-up menu in the Graphic section.
c. Click OK in the Acrobat PDFWriter Printing Preferences dialog box.

- Windows Me, 98, or 95:
a. Right-click Acrobat PDFWriter, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
b. Click the Details tab, and then click Setup.
c. Choose 600 dpi from the Resolution pop-up menu in the Graphic section.
d. Click OK in the Acrobat PDFWriter Properties dialog box, and then click OK in the Acrobat PDFWriter Properties dialog box.

- Windows NT 4 with Service Pack 3 or later:
a. Right-click Acrobat PDFWriter, and select Document Defaults from the pop-up menu.
b. Click the Page Setup tab, and then choose 600 dpi from the Resolution pop-up menu in the Graphic section.
c. Click OK in the Acrobat PDFWriter Default dialog box.

6. Open the document, and adjust the layout so that it appears as desired. For example, change the font, font size, margins, or spacing.
7. Re-create the PDF file.

Solution 2
If you created the PDF file from a Corel WordPerfect document, open the original document in WordPerfect, then choose Format > Make It Fit. WordPerfect will force the document to fit on a specific number of pages.

Note: WordPerfect may still reflow text to a different page. For example, if the last page of a WordPerfect document has only a small amount of text, WordPerfect may reflow text forward from previous pages as far as the bottom of that page.

Solution 3
If the PDF file has an extra page and was created from a Microsoft Word document, open the Word document, choose File > Print Preview, and click Shrink to Fit. Then re-create the PDF file. For more information about Word's Shrink to Fit feature, see the Word online Help.

Solution 4
Reformat the text in the original document with a different font, and then convert the document to PDF. If you're using Acrobat PDFWriter, use a TrueType font. If you're using Acrobat Distiller, use a Type 1 font (sometimes called a PostScript font). Keep in mind that text formatted with a different font will probably flow differently than text formatted with the original font."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back