Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting to SDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassphone

Technical User
Mar 23, 2007
US
I am converting our 5 3300s 4.0 to SDS for a pending upgrade to 6.0. The VAR tells me that all numbers need to be in the directory and not to use the local only directory as stated in the pre migration check. Is this information correct?

Always run the migration pre-check command on each 3300 first. That will provide a list of items you need to fix before moving forward. Typically every extension number in the system either needs a name in the telephone directory or to be in the local only form. The issue with using the local only form is that once and extension is in there you need to delete it completely to remove it from the form.

So what we do is if the migration pre-check command spits out a bunch of numbers we don't know what they are, then we give them a name of * plus the extension number. That puts them at the bottom of the phone book, clears the error in the pre-check command and allows the easiest method of giving them a name later on.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Anyone else and you need to throw it harder.

I've had no issues using the local-only numbers, but the recommended best practice is to keep that to a minimum. In my case, normally it's just the embedded VM ports which normally are the same, and everything else goes in the Telephone Directory.

Local only should only be numbers that don't need to be dialed across the cluster. Voicemail ports are a good example. You only need to reach the hunt group not individual ports.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Anyone else and you need to throw it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back