Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting to Pagemaker format? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnigrrrl

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
US
Hi...I'm using InDesign 1.5, and I have just learned the print shop needs my file to be in Pagemaker format. Does anybody have any idea how I can make this happen, short of doing the whole magazine layout over? I am trying not to panic but I see now way to export backwards.

Ask them if they will do the job if you let them borrow your copy of Indesign maybe. Making sure they delete it after doing the job. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

I would, but the trouble is I'm using Windows, and they're using Macs.

I've since decided to reload Pagemaker and start all over...it didn't take as long as I thought it would. But I do think it's really, really short-sighted of Adobe not to allow some sort of export feature to Pagemaker. It's just absurd.

Options for a printer that is too shortsighted to accept a major publishing file format:

1) Export a PS or PDF file for your printer. These can be done as a composite or in separations. Your printer can determine what they would like.

2) Have the printer install a demo of InDesign to print your file. InDesign 1.5 had a 60 day fully-functional demo available. InDesign 2.0 has a 30 day fully functional demo. Your printer will be able to print the file and get a look at a whiz-bang program they have neglected to invest in.

Ideally, you should establish a relationship with your printer so that you can send PS or PDF files. When properly done, you avoid all platform and font issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back