Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting to access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappe7

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
I created an acc97 DB for a network here at work. however some of the network users have acc2000 installed and not 97. thus we have a problem since the two arent compatible, or so i've heard. since we are all sharing the same DB i was thinking i could convert the current access DB to Acc2000 by following these instructions i got from MSFT

Make a backup copy of the Access database you're going to convert, to keep until you're comfortable working with the Microsoft Access 2000 database.

Close the Microsoft Access database you're going to convert.
If the Access database is a multiuser database located on a server or in a shared folder, make sure that no one else has it open.

In Microsoft Access 2000, point to Database Utilities on the Tools menu; point to Convert Database and then click To Current Access Database Version.

In the Database To Convert From dialog box, select the database you want to convert and then click Convert.

In the Convert Database Into dialog box, do one of the following:
Type a new name (without the .mdb extension) for the Microsoft Access 2000 database file.

Select a different location for the Microsoft Access 97 database file. (You can keep the same name, or change it.)
You cannot convert an Access database into a file with the same name and location as the original database.

Click Save.
Microsoft Access converts the database to Access 2000 format.

OK it seems fine but if i do this will the different users who make changes to one version be bale to make those changes int he other. so if i edit the 2000 version and remove a client from the DB, will that client also be removed from the 97 version. what i am asking is will the updated DB be linked to the old one or am i simply creating 2 instances of a dupliacte DB. thanks a lot. any solutions?

IF you are going to have users running A97 and A2K versions, then you will be better served leaving your application in A97. But you will need to go to the machines running A2K, open the reference library and make sure DAO 3.6 VBA is checked.

Otherwise plan on upgrading everyone to A2K.

Cheers, Bill

Enable the 97 database

OPen the database in Access 2000 and when prompted to convert or open select Open. This will Enable the database in 2000 but still allow 97 users to use it.

This does cause the databas to bloat a little as it maintains both 97 and 2000 objects and any design changes will have to be made using 97

Assuming you have a Front End Back End database you could convert the fon End to 2000 and leave the back End in 97. Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Scrappe7:

I have a similar situation. Our IT guys are in the process of converting everyone to Office 2K but it has been a laborious process. Some users are on 2K others still on 97.

My solution was to split the databases into front and back ends (actually, they were already split). I then upgraded the 97 front end to A2K so I actually have two front end apps one for each flavor of Access.

I run the apps off the server and each user has a short cut on their system pointing to the correct flavor of front end depending on their office install.

Has worked very well so far. The 97 backend will play nicely with an A2K front end. The only problem is the increased workload for maintenance; any change requires updating both front ends. Usually, however, I will make the modifications in 97 and then reconvert to A2K.

You do need to make sure that you have the DAO 3.6 reference set and and at the top of the list in A2K.

Hope this helps. Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back