Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting strings to NUMBER

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanem

Programmer
Aug 16, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a question regarding converting strings to number.
I have a table "A" which has 2 columns and values stored as following-

COL1 VARCHAR2(10)
COL2 VARCHAR2(20)

select * from A where ..

COl1 COl2
--- -----
parm1 abcd
parm2 1234,5678

I have another table "B" which has values from the COL2 column from table "A", but in the following format-

COL2 NUMBER(2)

select * from B

COL2
----

Now if I want to select from table "B" saying -

select * from B where COL2 in(select COL2 from A where COL1='parm1')

It does not return any rows since it takes '1234,5678' as a single string and is unable to find it in B.
Is there a way to sort of seperate 1234 and 5678 in table A and do a successful search for them in table B?

Thanks a lot
Rohan

Rohan,

Please place your need in some context so that we can produce the best/most viable solution for you:

1) Is this a one-time query or will it be re-used over and over as part of an application?
2) Are you looking to display-only the results or will the results of the query "continue on" to a non-display use such as being passed along to a sub-query?
3) Are the results destined for the screen or for outputting to a file?
4) Is the environment strictly SQL*Plus or are you using a third-party tool such as Crystal Reports, TOAD, et cetera?
5) How many rows are in tables A and B?
6) Can there be 0, 1, or many rows in table A for each row in table B?
7) Can there be 0, 1, or many rows in table B for each row in table A?

Your answers to these clarifications will help us to help you resolve your need.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Mufasa, thanks for your response..Here are the answers to your questions-

1) The query may be used again as a simple ad-hoc query.
2) I am looking only to display the results
3) The results are simply destined for standard output
4) I was trying to run the queries from TOAD
5) Table B always has more records than table A

For 6) and 7), it is hard to co-relate the # of rows between A and B since there is no other join condition that can be applied to them. The values in table A are listed as 1234,5678,3456,2345 in a SINGLE record. In table B, each value is in a SEPERATE record.

Thanks a lot for your help
Rohan

You can use the LIKE function:
select B.*
from B,
A
where B.COL2 LIKE A.COl2

First, Rohan, for a row to display as part of your output (according to your code), 'parm1' must appear in A.Col1 and A.Col2 must contain the entire contents of a B.Col2. I cannot see where that will happen with your sample data.

If, however, you change your condition to look for 'parm2' in A.Col1, then I believe that this code should work
Code:
select *
  from B
 where (select ','||COL2||',' from A where COL1='parm2')
         like '%,'||b.COL2||',%'
/

COL2
----------

I surrounded both strings with commas to account for these situations:

1) where the target string is either the first or last string in A.Col2
2) where the subject string (B.Col2) is a subset of a descrete superset string in A.Col2, in which case you do not want a match...for example:

B.Col2 = 34 and A.Col2 = '1234,5678'

...would, using otherwise incomplete/incorrect code, cause an improper match.

Let us know if this is does what you want.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back