Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting short file names to long file names

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbenaway

Instructor
Sep 19, 2002
We have several laptop computers with windows 98. When looking in windows exployer, the folders and files appear in the long filename format. However, when we load a CD containing a folder and its files onto the laptop, only the newly loaded folder with its files show up with short file names. This corrupts the files when used. I checked the cd on another computer, and the folder and file names are in long file names format.

Somehow, during the transfer from CD to computer, the folder and its files were converted to the short file name format

Is there a fix for this. I have never seen this occur before.

OH yes, I can change each file, one at a time, back to its original long file name, however, there are over 1000 files, so that is somewhat out of the question.

Does the pc have the files jdbgmgr.exe & sulfnbk.exe? Without researching, I'm sure one of these has something to do with long filenames and it was common for people to mistakenly delete them (they are valid windows files). See Vmyths for more info about these files.

Here's a Microsoft link for Windows 98. How are you copying? If you're using a separate disk utility to copy the files, can it handle long file names?

The long file name was destroyed.

"This can happen when transferring files to or from file systems that do not support long file names, when running file searches, or when using certain disk utilities. The long file name cannot be restored." (Try fixing the issue and then recopy the files.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back